flamingos have been riding the waves of tropical popularity in many shops and online, so i thought i’d share with you an easy DIY inspired by this flamingo trend.
i love dressing up my stationery and these easy-to-make pen covers will help your pens or even pencils to stand out this season! here’s how.
what you’ll need:
- printable (link to download is below!)
- scissors (or any other cutting tools)
- double-sided tape
- existing pens/pencils (any size will do!)
all you need to do is print it out the printable – i recommend printing on card stock (i used 150gsm paper) – and follow the instructions below. very soon you’ll have you very own flamingo pen covers!
how to make:
1. cut out the flamingo shapes from the printable. don’t forget to print out enough pieces of paper for all your pens!
you should have two pieces of “flamingo body” and one strip for attaching the pen to the flamingo cover. (i’ll explain this a bit more in the next steps)
2. wrap the connecting strip around the top of your pen, and secure it with tape.
be sure to position it exactly where you want to attach your flamingo (bear in mind that the end of the pen will become the flamingo’s legs; you’ll want to take note of the proportions). don’t forget to cut off any excess paper!
3. paste two small pieces of double-sided tape directly opposite each other on the strip of paper.
this is where you’ll stick on the flamingo’s body!
4. carefully paste the two sides of the flamingo’s body onto the pen, making sure they match up!
5. for a finishing touch, stick the ends of the flamingo’s wings together.
(you can do the whole wing, but i think it looks more natural this way.)
aand there you have it! a flamingo pen cover 🙂 wasn’t that easy? i think this pen cover is totally cute and you probably already have all the necessary materials at home.
as you can see, i used capped pens and attached the flamingo cover to the pen-cap, so i can take out the pen when i need to use it, and slide it back into the flamingo when i’m done! it’s pretty fun, actually 😀
another great way to use these covers is on dried up pens that you no longer use! it would make perfect tropical decor on your desk or in a container. (and by the way, i’ll be sharing a tropical-inspired container DIY very soon, so look out for it!! ;D)
i hope you enjoy making these flamingo pen covers. do tell me how your DIY crafting experience goes!